Sunday, February 8, 2009

Rat Hunting

The rats are getting worse. Every morning I see rat droppings on the milkstand feed tray. I think they are also harassing the rabbits. I set a trap for them in the barn, but I'm not sure the rats will be heavy enough to set the trap off. I will try it tonight and see if it works, if not, I will have to buy some real rat traps. I think I am going to have to get more serious about a barn cat. Fran was concerned about toxoplasmosis and the goats, but with the amount of time the goats actually hang around the barn area and the amount of area they have to roam I think it will be okay. I will reasearch more and think more about it if my traps don't work.

4 comments:

Fran said...

I am not as worried about cats as much as kittens having toxoplasmosis
and a kitten would not be able to deal with rats as well as a cat can.
I have had good luck with traps.
Good Luck I hate Rats:0(
Fran

Tiffany said...

There is a sign at the Country Store for a couple of barn cats. I'm tempted, but gonna try on my own first.

Tiffany said...

Shucks, went by there today and the sign is gone. Oh well. Not sure I want another mouth to feed anyway.

Anonymous said...



I would also worry about the baby
kittens, but animal rescuse leagues do,sometimes, have barn cats and they would be nutered. It's a thought.